Causes, Symptoms and Cures
What is Burnout?
Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary defines burnout as: exhaustion of physical or emotional strength or motivation usually as a result of prolonged stress or frustration.
What Causes Job Burnout?
Here are some possible causes of job burnout:
- working harder to hold onto your job in the face of impending layoffs
- working harder because of leaner staffs
- working hard without being rewarded
- being in an unsuitable career
- not having enough time away from work
How Do You Know If You Are Burned Out?
If you are experiencing any of the following symptoms, burnout may be to blame:
- crying jobs
- anxiety attacks
- weight gain
- teeth grinding
- increased drug, alcohol, or tobacco use
- low productivity at work
- inability to concentrate
(Job Burnout. www.vhihealthe.com.)
What Are the Effects of Burnout?
Burnout can affect your physical and mental health. It can lead to:
- physical illness, i.e. stroke or heart attack
What Can You Do If You Are Burned Out?
Before you can cure your burnout you have to figure out what is causing it. You must also take into account the severity of your burnout. The more severe it is, the more drastic your fix will have to be. Here are some possible cures:
- Take a vacation
- Don’t work overtime
- Find more time to relax or do things you enjoy
- Try to improve your relationship with your boss or co-workers
- Lessen your work load by delegating and prioritizing
- Quit your job
- Change your career
Leave a Reply